THE SECRET TO PLANT BASED UMAMI - TUES NOV 5
- Karen McAthy
- Event Type:
- Demonstration Class
- Event Time:
- 6 pm - 9 pm
THE SECRET TO PLANT BASED UMAMI | 6PM - 9PM
Join Chef Karen McAthy on a journey to create delicious flavourful vegan recipes. Even the most dedicated carnivores will want a seat at your table with this menu! These innovative dishes will have you coming back for more.
• Herbed mushroom tartare
• Grilled tomato and eggplant salad with a ginger miso dressing
• Potato ramen noodles, mushroom-kombu broth, black garlic roasted tempeh with wilted kale and shitake mushrooms
• Matcha cheesecake with blackberry coulis
- All participants receive a storewide 10% discount on the day of the class with exceptions on already reduced prices and electrical items, in-store items only.
- All classes are non-refundable, although you can send a friend in your place!
- Attendees must be at least 19 years of age to attend/participate in these classes.
- Allergies: we cannot guarantee that foods will be allergen-free, but you are welcome to come to class to learn, get recipes and tips. Tasting is of course your choice and is at your own risk.
- If you have any questions, please contact us at: email@example.com
Chef Karen McAthy, is founder and co-owner of Blue Heron a dairy-free, plant-based artisan cheese and foods company, and co-owner and executive chef of SOIL, Blue Heron’s sister restaurant in Vancouver, BC. Born in Alert Bay, BC and raised on the west coast, Karen’s focus as a chef has been highly centred on plant-based foods, fermentation, preserving, reducing food waste and working within the local food system. Karen’s passion for working within food has its roots in her childhood, growing up with parents from agricultural backgrounds, and living within a community highly attentive to its environmental resources and the place of humans within it. Karen attended both Northwest Community College, now Coast Mountain College (Terrace Campus), and SFU before going on to her career in food. As executive chef of the now closed Graze Vegetarian, Karen began research and development of what has become the foundational method of the cultured vegan cheeses she makes for Blue Heron, the company she co-founded with business partner Colin Medhurst. Karen is also the author of The Art of Plant-based Cheesemaking (New Society Publishers, 2017, which won the vegan cookbook category of the Gourmand World Cookbook Awards, 2018. Karen, on behalf of Blue Heron was a finalist for the innovation award for the BC Food Processor’s Awards in 2018, and Foodie of the Year award winner for Western Living Magazine, 2017. Karen has a passion for continuous learning and believes that both knowledge and skills paves the way for embracing diverse opportunities.