Citrus Olive Oil Cake
- 2 medium naval oranges
- 2 medium lemons
- 1 Tbsp. Berry sugar
- 1 large naval orange, sliced into 8 thin slices
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup toasted ground hazelnuts
- 2/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
2. Grease a 9 inch springform pan, dust with the berry sugar, then lay the the thin slices of orange evenly on the base of the pan.
3. Beat the eggs until they are light and foamy, slowly pour in the sugar and continue to beat until the mixture is thick and lemon coloured, about 5 minutes.
4. Sift the flour & baking powder together, stir in the ground hazelnuts. Add the pureed rind to the egg mixture, then alternate the flour mixture with the oil in 2 additions.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared orange lined pan and bake at 350F for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool in pan.
6. Invert on a serving plate and serve in wedges.
Copyright © 2018 Caren McSherry