In my 40 plus years of creating and teaching cooking, the new word “Hand Pies” in my mind simply refers to the old-fashioned “turnover.” A perfect pastry filled with a fruit filling and baked until golden brown. I do love how the culinary world reinvents the old to make new and here is my version. It always begins with perfect pastry, so if this intimidates or makes you nervous, simply purchase premade pastry and carry on.
- ¼ - ½ inch cutter
Pâte Brisée Ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 7 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6-8 tablespoon ice water
Blueberry Lemon Filling Ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
- 6 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup crushed amaretti cookies
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon water or milk
1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and sugar. Cut the butter into chunks and add to the flour mixture. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles the size of large peas. Add the water and mix, be very careful not over mix as this results in a tough pastry. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for an hour. While the dough is chilling prepare your filling.
- Hand Pies:
1. In a medium bowl, combine the fresh blueberries, granulated sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and cornstarch.
2. Remove the pastry from the fridge, lightly dust your work surface with flour and roll the pastry out to about 1/4 inch. Cut 5-inch circles, transfer the circles to a flat baking sheet. Place a heaping tablespoon of the crushed amaretti on the bottom, top with a big tablespoon of the prepared filling on one side of the pastry, fold over and crimp the edges to seal.
3. Mix the egg and water together and brush the tops of each hand pie. Place in a 400F pre-heated oven and bake until golden brown, or approximately 15-20 minutes.