Rice Salad in a Jar
- Six x 7oz glass weck jars or any preserving jars
- 1 cup black imperial rice
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 x 6oz jar roasted red peppers, drained and bottled dry on paper towel
- 1 large avocado, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2/3 cup mini mini bocconcini
- 6 large basil leaves, shredded fine
- ½ cup toasted almonds or nut of choice
Method Part 1:
2. While the rice is cooking, prepare the dressing by placing the minced garlic in a small bowl, add the shallot, mustard, vinegar and stir together. Slowly whisk in both oils, add the fleur de sel and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 small shallot, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon oil
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Fleur de sel and ground pepper to taste
Method Part 2:
2. Once the rice is cooked fluff a little and pour the dressing over the hot rice. Set aside and let the rice cool.
3. Once the rice is cool, you can begin the assembly. Start by cutting the peppers into 1 inch pieces and lay a slice on the bottom of each jar. Top with a heaping soupspoon of rice, then add a few cubes of avocado, a teaspoon of bocconcini , some of the shredded basil. Top with another soup spoon of rice and repeat.
4. Chill until serving. Just before serving, sprinkle with the roasted nuts. Do not do this ahead of time as the nuts will become soft and soggy.
Note: Feel free to substitute or add in your personal favourites, like pitted Kalamata, sundried tomatoes, fresh grape tomatoes, chopped artichokes. If lemon oil is not available in your market, add 1 teaspoon fine lemon zest to the oil to give you that subtle lemon essence.
Copyright© Caren McSherry 11/2018