Smoky Corn Chowder
- 10 slices pancetta, diced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large leek, white part only, sliced
- 2 tsp. smoked spanish paprika
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 4 cobs BC corn, kernels removed
- 1 large Idaho potato, peeled & diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 whole head roasted garlic
- 1 cup cream or whole milk
- 1/2 tsp. Piri piri sauce, or any hot sauce
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- snipped fresh chives for garnish
2. Add the chicken stock, corn kernels, potato and parsley. Squeeze the garlic cloves from their skins into the pot. Simmer for about 30 minutes. Add the cream, taking particular care not to boil the soup or it will curdle. Add the hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Stir to combine, ensuring that at no time the mixture boils.
3. Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with the snipped chives.
Serves 6 to 8.
Copyright © Caren McSherry & Whitecap Books