Cauliflower Steaks with Capers & Caramelized Lemon
- 1 large head cauliflower, trimmed of all leaves
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup capers, drained and blotted dry
- 1 lemon, cut into 6 wedges
- Fleur de sel and freshly ground pepper
2. In 2 large nonstick fry pans, heat the oil on medium-high. Divide the cauliflower slices between the pans and let them sizzle away for about 8 to 10 minutes. Using a spatula, carefully lift up and flip, being careful to not break them. If you find the large slices are too difficult to maneuver, cut them in half.
3. After flipping the cauliflower slices, add the capers and lemon wedges to the pans. Continue to sauté until the cauliflower and lemon wedges are golden brown. Remove the cauliflower and capers to a serving platter, and squeeze the warm lemon on top, leaving the wedges on the plate for a rutsic presentation if desired.
4. Finish with a few good pinches of fleur de sel and generous grindings of pepper. Serve hot. It is hard to hold yourself back.
Note: You can also fry this in two batches, dividing the total amount of capers and lemon wedges between the batches. Simply keep the first batch warm in the oven at 375F while frying the second.
Copyright (c) Caren McSherry 2017